Monday, August 18, 2008

40w1d

Officially overdue. I am starting to go nutso. I am honestly beginning to wonder if this baby girl is ever coming out.

It's funny how things come full circle. I remember when we were in the 2WW after our IVF, I was analyzing every single twinge, pain and hiccup. And now, waiting so desperately for labour to start, I find myself doing the exact same thing. "My back hurts - does this mean labour is starting? I feel nauseous - does this mean labour is starting? I think I felt a BH contraction - does that mean labour is starting?" And unfortunately, the answer thus far has been a resounding NOPE NOT YET.

I have to keep telling myself that no matter what, come hell or high water, my doctor won't let me go more than 10 days overdue, so I will be induced by August 27th. I just really hope it doesn't come to that as I understand that induction is not the best for the baby. I really want her to decide it's time to be born on her own. Like how about today? Today's good for me!

Yesterday I went to West Vancouver with my parents to visit my 93-year-old aunt and then go for lunch and a walk. The trip was unbearably hot in the car, and while I appreciated the chance to get my mind of things, I was really uncomfortable. Our walk had to be short because I was having so much pelvic pressure that it was actually painful to be walking around. I took that as a good sign.

I suppose this desperation to get things moving is Mother Nature's way of making labour - probably the most painful experience a woman can endure - sound appealing. You'd think I'd be more scared of pushing something the size of a cantaloupe out of my vagina, but here I am looking forward to it big time. Bring it on!

(and soon please!)

6 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

Sending you laboring thoughts

Jenni said...

Once she's here, you won't even remember life without her. The last hard days fade into a distant memory in about two seconds.

And, don't worry, most newborn's heads are really only be around the size of a grapefruit, much more reasonably sized than a cantaloupe :)

Barb said...

You poor thing. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Wow, just back from vacation and thought Maya would be here by now, fo sho! Sorry to hear you are still waiting. I agree with Jenni, you won't remember this part when she arrives! Best of luck!

Hilary said...

Man I had high hopes that when I looked at your blog this AM that you'd be in the hospital..bummer!!Maya please come out Mommy and daddy are SSOOOO ready :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have been following your blog because we were due around the same time. I ended up having my baby 18 days early! I wanted to let you know that my water broke three days after losing my mucus plug. By the time I got to the hospital I was already 3.5 cm dilated! So there is hope that you will go soon! Good luck and best wishes! I can't wait to see pictures of your precious baby! It will be soon!

Ann