Friday, June 6, 2008

This Baby's Got Back: A Chronicling Of My Pregnant Sleeping Challenges

I have noticed that my hips have really been hurting over the past week or so. They ache and feel like they're out of their sockets. I don't know if this is a product of my joints loosening up in preparation for labour or a side effect of sleeping on my side. I tend to notice it more at night. Anyone else experiencing this?

Speaking of side-sleeping, I've also noticed that lately, I keep waking up on my back. A pregnancy no-no! Despite my Snoogle maternity pillow and the fact that I am not sleeping so soundly these days, I have found myself waking up on my back at least once a night. I've always been confused about this. I mean, I know why back sleeping isn't great for a pregnant woman, but how bad is it, really? Haven't pregnant women been sleeping on their backs for centuries? Isn't this new no-back-sleeping rule relatively new? My mum never heard of it.

Also, at a little over 29 weeks pregnant, I am getting up to pee at least 8-10 times every night, even if I make it a point to restrict my water intake well before bedtime.

I am curious if anyone else is experiencing any of this nighttime fun and if anyone has any tips to make it easier. I have sort of resigned myself to having these restless nights for the rest of my pregnancy, but I would be delighted to hear if anyone has any tricks up their sleeves to make pregnant sleeping a bit easier.

One bonus of not sleeping so well is that I get to be awake and witness baby girl's nightly squirming show, which I love. This kid definitely likes the night life, baby.

5 comments:

Martin said...

Aside from the busted hips and loss of bladder control, that's just really sweet!

AwkwardMoments said...

i am still waking up on my back atleast once a night -it just happens.

I try to wedge pillows under my belly and hips at night to help with the ache. Some days it helps, others it doesn't.

I think i could not drink water at all and still wake up to pee 3 times in the middle of the night.

My other solution is for my huhsband to spoon with me on - so i do not roll and move much while i sleep - works until i get hot, he gets hot, i have to pee...etc.

Bex said...

oh girl I feel.your.pain. lol
so I am 35 weeks now and I hate to say it just gets worse I swear! My hips kill me from side sleeping too. For me I know it's the combination of joints separating and the weight gain. I try to make a conscious effort to switch sides often since either side is fine (they say left is best but my labor class instructor said unless you are battling contractions, etc. your right side is OK). I actually feel better sleeping on my right side for some reason - I think my placenta is more to my left side, call me crazy but I think I can actually feel it and everything...
I feel like I need a crane to get out of bed to pee at night. It depends on the night but normally I am up a gazillion times. Ironically I get so thirsty at night it's ridiculous. I have to wake up at 2am to get a huge glass of water, ugh!! it's terrible lol
For some reason I have stopped waking up on my back, but in my labor class the instructor says it's OK if you wake up on your back - that your body will let you know when it has had enough and wake you naturally. Don't worry too much about that :)
So i know this isn't the most optimistic comment, but you only have 11 weeks left of this, woohoo!

Anonymous said...

I had lots of hip pain-- and numbness-- during sleep around that time of pregnancy. I'd have to get up frequently to make them stop hurting. I didn't have the frequent peeing at that point, but it might have helped.

The back sleeping, apparently, isn't as terrible as some books make it seem. In fact, I read somewhere that you should sleep however the hell you want. I took them up on it.

Anonymous said...

Delurking to give you some advice. Yeah sleeping on your back is a no no, but really only when you are COMPLETELY on your back FLAT. If you prop your hips even slightly, I think its the right hip, you will relieve the pressure on your artery. It is a tiny artery, so even a slight raised hip does the job.

Sleeping on your side Sucks after you reach a certain point in your pregnancy. Definite ouch to the hips. Its those darn muscles getting you ready for labor. Take it easy on them. I had trouble getting into a car with my 1st, it was so painful.

Talk with your doc about which hip to raise and the amount needed if you need reinforcement with my statements. Good luck my dear and I hope reflux passes you by, it was another of my late pregnancy issues.

Blessings!