Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Latest

I had my monthly OB/GYN appointment yesterday and all went...OK. It went well, really, nothing terrible happened or anything - and thank G-d for that - but there were three things that kinda bothered me.

First - there was a "trace" of glucose in my urine. Both the nurse and my doctor said this could be normal...or it could be a sign of something. They said not to worry about it for now, but I should go and get my gestational diabetes blood test done asap.

Second - I have gained 11 pounds since last month's appointment. ELEVEN POUNDS. This puts me roughly at a total pregnancy weight gain of 35-40 pounds. While I don't mind packin' em on, my doctor was less than thrilled with me. I have to be really, really careful not to put on too much more weight during this pregnancy. Oh and by the way, I am starting my third trimester on Sunday. This should be interesting.

Third - my fundal height (uterus height) is measuring - get this - THREE WEEKS AHEAD. I am 26.5 weeks and my uterus clocked in at 29 cm.

Each one of these things alone wouldn't bother me much. But all three of them put together *could* point to gestational diabetes, which I really don't want thankyouverymuch. I went to the lab right after my doctor's appointment and did the GD test. (By the way, I didn't think that orange drink was so bad. It was indeed sweet, but not as horrible as I had imagined.) Results should be in within 2-7 days. If anyone can spare a good thought for my test results, I'd really appreciate it.

I honestly don't care about me in this scenario. I don't care what I have to do to keep my little girl healthy. Seriously, I would be more than happy to paint myself purple and eat nothing but broccoli if I thought it would help. I am more worried about Maya. I would hate it if my body somehow put her in harm's way - like subjecting her to birth trauma or lifetime obesity.

Oh well, I guess there's no point in worrying about GD until I find out the results of the test. I'll try to put it out of my mind for now. (Notably, I did end up dreaming about it all night last night.) And the important thing to remember is that even if I do have GD, it's not the end of the world. It's manageable and when it comes to my baby, I am as strong-willed as they come. I would do anything, absolutely anything for this kid.

Other than that, the appointment went very well and was reassuring in all other aspects. Baby girl's heartbeat was a strong 153 and everything else is going swimmingly. I am very, very happy.

7 comments:

Mazzy said...

Hoping the best, as always, and I am sure everything will turn out just fine.
I cannot believe how far along you are!!!

AwkwardMoments said...

I am hoping for good results for your gtt test. Hoping y uo do not have to endure that gd adventure

AwkwardMoments said...

Oh btw - Congrats on reaching the 3rd trimester- How awesome is that.

I didn't thnk the drink was that bad either for the 1 hour. The 3 hour test was brutal - but managable

christina(apronstrings) said...

i am sorry that some signs point to GD. : ( She is a healthy baby, and ain't no doctor gonna change that. i've heard that a lot of people actually lose weight late in the 3rd. so you might just b right on track.

Anonymous said...

I'm (26+ weeks)as well and have gained 27 pounds. I honestly don't know where it's going besides my belly and boobs! Anyhow, I gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks and so doc ordered a GD test and I passed! Doc said some people put on a TON of weight right around this time but then don't gain much the last month or two. Let's just hope we are those people :) hang in there--together, let's try not to stress too much about the weight thing...the gd thing worries me, too--what if I have it now but it didn't show up on the test from 2 weeks ago! Ahh! Never ends.

Martin said...

Good luck for those results, stay positive!

Kristen said...

Sending lots of good vibes for your GTT results. I hope you can avoid any GD worries.

I know many women who measured several weeks ahead by fundal height and had perfectly healthy babies. I don't believe that is an exact science - more of a guideline.

Oh, and happy 3rd trimester!!!! XOXO