Sunday, February 17, 2008

14 Weeks Today

Some say the second trimester starts at 12 weeks. Some say it starts at 14 weeks. There are even a few who say that it starts in the 13th week. I've never understood why there is this varied definition.

However, any way you decide to slice it, I am now officially in the second trimester of this pregnancy.

My belly has definitely grown some, but I seem to have "big belly days" and "small belly days". I despise "small belly days" and today is one such day. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I swear there are real variations on a day to day basis. When my belly seems smaller, I find it discouraging – almost like all the growing progress I've made takes a few steps back. Silly, I know.

D has been taking weekly "belly pictures" of me every week and as soon as I feel like there is a real noticeable and substantial belly enlargement to be seen, I will post the series.

I am impatiently waiting to feel Scrappy move - and I think I *might* have felt something a couple of times already. I know it's probably way too early, and I'm trying to keep that in mind. I can't wait until I get to feel our little one moving and kicking all the time. Other than that, nothing new to report for this week, really. I've had a two day hiatus from the heartburn I was having, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

My friend L gave birth to a perfect baby boy on Friday evening. We went to see them yesterday and I must admit, I was overwhelmed. Their son is beautiful, breathtaking. It was surreal to think that we're going to have one of those of our own soon. It was love at first sight and I don't know how I managed to leave without trying to steal him and take him with us.

I can't wait until we have our baby. I CAN'T WAIT. I am SO excited. August cannot get here soon enough.

8 comments:

Martin said...

2nd trimester...WoooHoooo!

:-)

AwkwardMoments said...

Woo hoo welcome to the second trimester regardless of the "when it reallyh starts".

I bet you are feeling scrappy "do things" I think we are more keen on what our body is doing! I am so excited to hear you excited!! It allows me to feel more excited for myself!

Jill Tice said...

I am trying to figure out why I am the selfish one too! :o)

Background...said SIL and BIL have been married for 11 years. SHE "tried" to have a baby back in 2005. SIL decided after a year that they would go see a doctor to see what he says. She has PCOS (she figured something was wrong because she only got 2-3 periods a year.) and BIL won't "go into debt to have a child" but has had his eye on a Corvette. :o) SIL hasn't brought up treatment since because BIL will shut her down right away. Needless to say, she wants a child and he doesn't. You would think they would have discussed this before they got married!

When she found out that I had issues she was pissed that I was going through fertility treatments because "I already had one and was selfish for wanting another when she didn't have any." Makes NO SENSE! You would think she would be picking my brain for info!!!

Sooooo, instead of "going into debt" to have a child my BIL is going into debt finishing their basement, looking to buy a Corvette, and going on trips and my SIL won't stand up to him yet I am the selfish one. She should be calling her hubby selfish instead of me.

Did any of that make sense???

You kind of have to read from the beginning of my blog to get all of the "characters"....my hubby's family is freakin' INSANE!!!

YEA to the 2nd trimester! It is so much better than the first!!!

east side girl said...

I have "big belly" and "small belly" days, too, which is very strange.

I've read that 2nd tri officially begins at 14 weeks (b/c that's actually 12 weeks gestational age, since you count pregnancy from first day of your last period).

Regardless, congratulations, and good luck!

Mazzy said...

Grow, Scrappy, grow!
I can't wait to see those belly pictures. :)

RBandRC said...

YAY for 14 weeks and the 2nd trimester! So exciting. And you very well could be feeling some movement. I felt things very sporadically early on and they're getting more regular now.

christina(apronstrings) said...

14 weeks rocks!!!! 12 is the second, who would say otherwise? did you know that we didn't even have trimesters, until Roe v. Wade. Because somehow they had to decide how long to permit a termination. Crazy huh? So, it isn 12 weeks.
but who cares, 'cause your miles past 12 weeks.

Bex said...

Hey Hilary!
I know what you mean about your belly seeming larger or smaller depending on the day, it happens to me too :) I'm happy to see you're doing so well and wish you the very best. I can't wait to see the belly pictures, yaayyy!