Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Feed Me, Seymour!

I am so freakin’ into food right now.

Someone asked me the other day if I’ve had any cravings yet and my answer is “I crave whatever is in front of me at the moment!” When I’m eating dinner, I’m daydreaming about breakfast. Grocery shopping has become a ridiculous experience as I lose all sense of restraint. EVERYTHING looks so delicious! *drools on keyboard*

Well I shouldn’t say everything. Surprisingly, the only thing that sounds gross to me is anything sweet (not including fruit). I want nothing to do with cake, candy, cookies, pastries, etc. NOTHING. This is a bit odd because before I got pregnant I was a sugar freak. I would choose a cupcake over a sandwich any old day. These days, my appetite is quite the opposite. I want fresh stuff – veggies, fruit, cheese (OMG cheese), milk, bacon, chicken, frittatas, tacos, cottage cheese, meatballs, wholegrain toast with butter, almonds, cashews (I could go on…and on). I don’t think this new anti-sweets phenomenon is actually a “food aversion” though. Rather, I think this new development with my palate has more to do with the fact that I know what sweet stuff will do to my insulin levels, and that’s what makes it so unappealing. I’m finding pregnancy has elicited such an amazingly strong sense of baby and health preservation; every thought, action, decision, preference, and day-to-day desire is 100% about keeping Scrappy healthy, happy and safe. The feeling is so strong, so overpowering, I’m finding it quite awe striking at times. I guess that’s motherhood at its most basic and instinctual level.

Tomorrow is my first “real” doctor’s appointment with my OB/GYN since being released from the fertility clinic. I’m excited, albeit a little bit nervous that it will be too early to hear Scrappy’s heartbeat by means of Doppler. I’m nervous, but hopeful.

Thank goodness I had that ultrasound last Thursday or I would be beside myself right now.

Knocking on wood and fingers crossed that all will go very well tomorrow. Wish us luck!

4 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

wishing you luck

Martin said...

All the luck in the world

Anonymous said...

Isn't the sugar thing odd? I had exactly the same reaction, with the added touch that everything was/is supersweet - including fruit.

Good luck on your scan tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow