Sunday, October 21, 2007

I Survived The Baby Fair

...and lived to tell the tale.

It was a dark, cold and rainy morning at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Strollers were approaching the Exhibit Hall by the masses. The sound of crying and fussing babies was clearly audible amidst the kiddy music playing at the end of the large, crowded room. I was pushed and shoved toward the booths by the giant sea of pregnant bellies surrounding me, like cattle to the slaughter...

Actually it wasn't too bad. I only got a bit choked up twice; once when a woman asked me if I was pregnant. I recoiled and blurted out a very bitter "No!". She was a bit taken aback by this brazen answer, I could tell. The second time was when I was getting a complimentary facial (which was awesome, by the way) and the women giving the facial said, "When are you going to catch up to your friend here [pregnant L] and have a baby too?". That was too much. I answered boldly by saying, "Um actually I WAS pregnant and I recently miscarried". That shut her up for about 3 seconds. Then she went on to tell me about how her sister was pregnant and today is officially 12 weeks for her so she can start telling everyone blah blah blah.

All in all, I handled things better than I could have dreamed. And I walked away with a bunch of free samples of lotions and potions and all kinds of goodies. It was a pretty good morning.

But it did make me feel even more anxious to have a baby, if that's even possible. I really hope my turn is coming up soon. I am so ready.

6 comments:

RBandRC said...

I give you a lot of credit. There is no chance in hell I would go to one of those things. It's bad enough I have to work with the most fertile women on the planet and everywhere I go there are pregnant bellies following me around aimlessly. You are my new hero because I think I would've lost it if I were you! :)

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

Oh I'll probably have a mini-meltdown sometime before the day's over...lol

Anonymous said...

Wow. You are a far braver woman then I. It sounds like you had to dodge some gigantic bullets the size of Texas. I'm so glad that you had the right perspective today.

That facial lady sounds like a peach. Yeah...I mean if telling a woman that just admitted a recent miscarriage to you all about your sister's presumably successful pregnancy isn't grounds for woman of the year...

at least it was free??

Mel said...

You ARE a brave girl.
You have something very exciting looming on your horizon, though. I am wishing the VERY best for your IVF cycle. Hopefully you are just a stone's throw away from your very own personal
"baby fair."
:)

Laura said...

Wow! I don't think I would have lasted 5 minutes. Kudos to you! And you got some free loot!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.