Wednesday, October 3, 2007

All Clear

I had my HSG today. I had to take the train two cities away so I could get in at the only hospital that could do the procedure on the ninth day of my cycle, as the local hospitals were all booked up for today.

After I arrived and checked in at reception, I hadn't been sitting in the lobby for more than 30 seconds before they called me in. I changed into a gown and went into a room that had all kinds of x-ray equipment and a very tall exam table for me to sit on. While I waited for the doctor to arrive, I made small talk with the two young assistants who were helping out. They brought me a heated blanket, answered some of my questions, and told me a little bit about the procedure.

The doctor finally came in about 15 minutes later. He was an older fellow, short in stature with white hair and very thick glasses. He was with a younger student doctor who was in training. He was very nice and when I confessed that I was kinda nervous, he said, "don't worry, that's perfectly natural". I liked him right off.

The procedure was very uncomfortable. Obviously, the speculum (like the one they use for paps) is no picnic. But the doctor put it in and then fussed around with something and it felt like I was sitting there forever with that awful speculum prying me open. Finally, he put the catheter into my cervix and although the tube itself didn't hurt much, once he inflated the dye-filled balloon in my uterus, it really hurt. It felt like horrible period cramps with terrible pressure. I had to squeeze the hand of one of the young assistants.

All in all, from start to finish, it probably took less than 20 minutes. Of course, when it was happening, I thought it was never going to end.

Sometimes you get a doctor who won't tell you anything. Even if you ask questions, they keep what they know to themselves, and only dismissively suggest that you speak with your regular doctor. I've had this happen even when there's nothing wrong to speak of. Thankfully, the doctor I saw today was very informative, told me everything he saw, and even showed me the pictures of my dye-laden uterus and fallopian tubes on x-ray.

The good news: Everything is totally normal and perfectly clear!

Thanks again to Mrs. Mel Z for advising me to take the painkillers before the HSG. I can't imagine the agony it would have been without them.

We dropped off D's sperm analysis at the lab this morning as well. Now if we find out that looks good as well, I'll be thrilled!

4 comments:

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

Yay!!

Getting the HSG out of the way is a big thing. Now you know you are all clear, which is great!

What's next on the agenda?

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

Next on the agenda: Our first appointment with our fertility doc!!! I guess it's like a consultation and we'll figure out next steps, timing, etc.

It's next Wednesday and I am SOOOOOO excited!

Anonymous said...

I am SO GLAD your HSG is done and over for you. It is so uncomfortable but then it's over and you don't ever have to think about it again. And YAY for the all clear!!!! :) Congrats on that good news.

RBandRC said...

YAY! I'm glad everything went well and everything is clear. I hated having my HSG done, as it HURT like a MFer, but I was glad I did it. One thing to check off the list. Good luck with your appointment and keep us posted! :)