Friday, February 29, 2008

Waiting To Be Kicked

15w5d today and finding myself DESPERATE to feel some movement from little Scrappy in there. So many of the blogs I’ve read report feeling movement around this time and I’m wondering when it will happen for me. Okay, okay, I know I’m being impatient here – my doctor and all the books say that for a first kiddo, you shouldn’t expect movement until 18 weeks or so. But I like to think that Scrappy is advanced so I’m hoping for sooner. Plus, I am ultra tuned-in to my uterus these days so hopefully that will speed things up.

I *thought* I had felt a few little flutters over the last couple of weeks, but who knows? I have no idea what I’m feeling for. Could very well have been gas for goodness sake. All I know is that I CAN’T WAIT to feel our little one’s kicks on a regular basis. That, my friends, will be truly exciting.

I’m still at this in-between stage where I don’t quite look pregnant, but I definitely look “thick”. I am really looking forward to having a big ol’ belly. I have been having D take “belly pictures” of me every Sunday and once I feel like I’m looking noticeably pregnant, then I will post the series. One thing I can say for sure is that my tummy area is really, REALLY itchy, despite the fact that I slather moisturizer on my entire torso every morning. That’s one thing about pregnancy that no one ever warns you about – the itching! I guess I am happy about it because it must mean I’m growing, right?

I would now like to take this opportunity to once again, sing the praises of my fetal Doppler. Every time I’ve felt anxiety or worry about little Scrappy, I am instantly reassured by a quick blast with the Doppler. I. LOVE. IT. It has helped me to have a more confident pregnancy, which is so invaluable. Granted, it doesn’t erase ALL my worries (I’m still paranoid about having an incompetent cervix and going into pre-term labour, not to mention anxieties about the baby not developing properly or getting an infection, or heaven forbid what if the umbilical cord wraps around the baby’s neck???…*clears throat*, but I digress...) but it really does keep me from losing my mind on a daily basis. Plus, I’m getting good at using the Doppler – I can usually find little Scrappy’s heartbeat instantly. Such a gorgeous sound.

I read a really great quote yesterday which totally made me smile: “Babies are conceived to be born, and children are born to live.” In other words, little ones are tough – and everything in them is fighting to be healthy and strong and grow and live. What a wonderful realization.

4 comments:

RBandRC said...

You very well could be feeling something and just not realizing it. I started to feel "something" at around 13/14 weeks and that is really early for a first timer. As things have progressed I'm pretty positive that what I was feeling early on was indeed Lemy.

Still, I have my moments where I'll feel her and be like "is that her or is that gas?" but she has a schedule. I can usually feel her in the morning and in the late afternoon and now at night sometimes. Don't worry, when you get there you will know--I promise! Hoping Scrappy gives you a good kick or too very, very soon! :)

HUGS!

christina(apronstrings) said...

you're so right, babies are tough as nails, and the little fighter has surpassed all hurdles with flying colors.

i hope mr./mrs. scrappy kicks you very soon.

east side girl said...

Oh, I agree with you! You and I have very close due dates, and I'm just dying to feel a kick!

Even though the literature says it could happen this early, my doc says I won't likely feel anything until 18-20 weeks. Still, sometimes I feel a strange feeling in my stomach, like nerves or butterflies, and I wonder if it's the baby, or my imagination.

Have a great weekend.

Mazzy said...

Think about the sheer number of babies born every day JUST FINE. It's almost overwhelming when you even consider it.
Hoping you feel those kicks any day!