I'm enjoying the last day of a 3-day weekend (yay for Canadian Thanksgiving!) and all I can think about is my upcoming appointment with our soon-to-be fertility doctor (Dr. T). I'm nervous, excited, anxious, excited, excited, optimistic and excited. I have looked at the website for the fertility clinic so many times now that I've practically got it memorized. Being the nerd that I am, I've actually prepared a list of questions for the doctor, because I know the second I walk in there I will forget everything I wanted to ask about. Here is my list, in case anyone feels like commenting:
1) Single IUI vs. double (or triple) - your thoughts?
2) What stims/meds do you suggest (noting that I have a spotty response to Clomid at best)?
3) As OPKs are almost always positive for me, can I request to be monitored by ultrasound?
4) Does your clinic do genetic selection during sperm-washing? Does this decrease our odds of conception? (I'm not totally sure if I'm going to ask this one...)
5) Should I be on Progesterone supplements after IUI?
6) Given our work up and history, what are OUR chances of success per cycle?
7) Do I need to be concerned with OHSS (ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome), considering my history of PCOS? What about poor egg quality?
8) How long should I lie down after the IUI? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of success?
Am I crazy to be as excited about this as a kid before Christmas? I'm excited for the injections, I'm excited to see my follicles on ultrasound, I'm excited for the whole process. This must sound absolutely naive and ridiculous to those out there who are veterans in this process.
D is worried about taking the time off work to go to this consultation appointment. D has a fairly high-stress job and it's hard for him to get away. Little does he know, this is just the beginning when it comes to needing time off, poor guy.
I talked to D again last night about moving straight to IVF, rather than try IUI first. My theory is that the success rates are so much better, we may as well do IVF once or twice, rather than IUI three or four times. I just want to get pregnant right now! But D is convinced that IUI will work and he wants to try it at least once before we move on to the next step. He said "I'd bet a lot on 20% odds." He is a great husband, very encouraging. I think I get a lot of my optimism from him. Also, the doctor I'm seeing is supposedly one of the Canadian pioneers in the field of IUI, so I guess I should have some faith in that.
With that in mind, I'm going to post a poll because, well, I'm just that crazy - (take a look at the top/right of this blog and please vote!). [EDIT: POLL DELETED]
I am so ready to be a mum.
God I love 3-day weekends. I have absolutely nothing to do today and that, my friends, is just fantastic.